A local friend of mine, who is also named Melissa, recently had a birthday. Since she works in a veterinary office, I thought an animal-themed birthday card would be perfect for her. The inspiration for this particular card came from a sample card that is on display right now at my local stamp store.
This card is made from quite a few different Lawn Fawn products. Since there are so many involved, I’ll start from the middle of the card and work my way out.
Since I was planning to do some masking on this card, as well as creating my own repeated background, I decided to use my MISTI stamping tool to ensure I got everything lined up correctly. I stamped the frame first from the Flirty Frames stamp set using some Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I then masked off the frame using some Inkadinkado masking paper and then stamped the critters inside the frame. The critters are from the Year Four stamp set. I colored them with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers. I colored the hippo with IG2, IG3, and IG5. I colored the bird with CT2, CT4, and a touch of CR1 on the tummy and his little party hat was done with BP4 and BP7. The balloon was colored with TB1, TB3, and TB5. I lightly colored the frame with IG1, IG2, and added a bit of BT1 in the little tear drop shapes on either side.
The next layer consists of two parts. I have a square of the mint green polka dot paper from the Let’s Polka, Mon Amie petite (6×6) paper pad. I die cut it using the Stitched Squares die set from Simon Says Stamp. Beneath it is a white rectangle panel which I die cut using the Stitched Rectangles die set from Simon Says Stamp using the same width as I used for the square. I then added a scalloped border across the bottom by die cutting the rectangle again using one of the dies from the Lawn Fawn Stitched Scalloped Borders set. I stamped the sentiment from the Year Four set just above the scalloped border using VersaFine Onyx Black ink.
Once I had all of my layers ready, I assembled my card. I adhered the polka dot panel to the argyle panel using my Advanced Tape Glider (ATG) to keep it nice and flat. I then added my frame in the middle of the polka dot square with some 3M foam tape to give it a little dimension. I then mounted the assembled layers using some foam tape to the card base which was made from some Fig Swirl Bazzill card stock.
I finished things off by adding a small highlight on the balloon using my Uniball Signo Broad white gel pen and then covered the balloon with Glossy Accents. After I had taken my photo, I ended up going back and adding some clear cupped sequins from Pretty Pink Posh in the upper right and lower left corners of the polka dot square.
I’m off to another class at my local stamp store tomorrow. This time it’s a mixed media class which will be a first for me. I’m really looking forward to it because it’s also featuring Marci stamps from La-La Land Crafts which I love! I’m sure I’ll post more about that in a few days.
Until next time …