Rather than having a theme, the latest challenge (#104) is a sketch challenge. Since I generally find the concept of making a card around a sketch a bit easier than around a particular theme, I was really happy to see this!
For my card, I decided to mix things up a bit a use the Monster Mash stamp set in a non-traditional way. I opted to pair them with colors one would typically associate with Spring rather than Halloween. Using seasonal stamps in a non-traditional way like this is a great way to get more mileage from your stamps.
For my card base, I used a piece of Powder Blue Bazzill card stock. I cut the rectangles from the sketch using various pieces of paper from the Let’s Polka, Mon Amie petite paper pack from Lawn Fawn. I used my Cuttlebug and the Stitched Circles dies from Simon Says Stamp to create a shaker window frame using a piece of paper from the Pint-Sized Patterns: Beachside petite paper pack. I then used the larger circle to also cut a clear acetate window from some Dura-Lar film as well as a plain white card stock circle from some Crafter’s Companion Ultra-Smooth for the backing piece. I also used this piece to stamp the sentiment (also from the Monster Mash stamp set) using Pixie mini pigment ink from Close to My Heart.
In retrospect, I probably should have made my shaker circle larger. Mine ended up being about two inches in diameter. I can assure you, it’s NO fun trying to cut and double-layer teeny tiny little pieces of 3M foam tape to make a shaker this small. LOL
It was then time to stamp and color the little monsters. I stamped them on some more of the Crafter’s Companion Ultra Smooth card stock using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I knew I wanted the little one-eyed monster and the larger one-eyed monster huddles together. This meant I would need to do a little bit of masking since they were individual stamps. I used my MISTI stamping tool for that part.
I stamped the little monster first and then created a small mask from some 1″ Post-It tape. I trimmed out the right side of the mask and placed it over my little monster. I then stamped the larger monster next to it overlapping them slightly. Getting masks lined up correctly is just so much easier with my MISTI. I actually don’t mind masking now! LOL
After getting all of my little monsters stamped out, I colored them in shades I felt would be complimentary to the papers I had selected. I did the little one-eyed monster in RV02 and RV04. The larger one-eyed monster was done with BV00, BV02, and BV04. I also used some B00 and the Blender Pen to add a little color to their eyes. The three-eyed monster was done in G00, G02, and G05. I used Y06 and Y08 for his legs/arms and used Y17 and YR04 for his horns. Finally, the short round monster was done using R20, R24, and R27.
The final step was assembling the shaker and then putting everything together on the card base. I filled the shaker with some 4mm Springtime Mix sequins from Pretty Pink Posh. I also added three more in the 6mm size as an embellishment on the finished card.
Until next time …