New Stamps & a New Technique

I recently purchased some new stamps and decided to play around with them today. I didn’t necessarily have any particular cards or sketches in mind when I started. I just decided to go with wherever the stamps led me.

Before I got around to the cards, I decided to play around with a new technique I saw on Laurel Beard’s blog. She posted yesterday about coloring on vellum using Copic markers. She even has a video showing how she does the technique. It looked so cool that I immediately knew I wanted to try it, too!

MISTI - Stamping Multiple ImagesThe first thing I did was stamp off several images onto some 30 lb. vellum using my MISTI stamping tool. All the stamps I used for this were from Altenew. I used stamps from the Hennah Elements set and some from the Whimsical Flowers set. In Laurel’s video, she embossed her images and then colored them. Since I was just testing the technique, I opted not to waste any of my embossing powders and just stamped the images plain instead.

Copic Coloring on VellumOnce I had the images all stamped and dried, I pulled out several of my Copic markers and started to play. For this technique, you do the Copic coloring on the opposite side of the vellum from where the images are stamped. Since the coloring is on the back side of the vellum, it’s best to avoid soft/pale colors because the vellum will wash them out even more. It’s best to go with bright vibrant colors.

The biggest thing I learned in the process is that it takes a while for the Copic ink to dry. Because of that, this isn’t a technique you can really do and just immediately slap on a project. One way around that would be to use a heat tool to set & dry the ink. Since this was just practice for me, I opted to let it air dry.

Altenew Flower Colored on VellumI absolutely LOVE how this turned out, even without the embossing. I can’t wait to incorporate this technique into some cards. Isn’t it just stunning?! I used R29 for the petals on this flower which is a very bright red, but I love how subtle it becomes using this vellum technique.

Lady Bug HelloWhile I was waiting on the vellum test to dry, I cranked out a couple of other cards. The first was a variation of a card from a Whimsical Coloring class I took from Sandy Allnock back in January when she was in town for CHA. using the Butterfly and Flower Stamp & Cut set from Hero Arts. I think part of what inspired me to make this card was finding out that Sandy is coming to Stamp Fever (my LSS) in August to teach FOUR classes! Yes, I’ve already signed up for all of them. LOL:

Lady Bug card - close-upI stamped the images and sentiment using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I colored the wings on the ladybug using R27 and R29 then filled in the spots with 100. For the body, I used C-7 for the little gap between the wings and C-5 for the head. To give the ladybugs some grounding (something I learned from Sandy), I used C3, C1, and 0.

I created a base for the card using a piece of Lipstick Red card stock from Simon Says Stamp. Before assembling the card, I rounded the right-hand corners on both the panel and card base using the 1/2″ radius side using my Corner Chomper from We R Memory Keepers. I then adhered the panel using some Big Momma foam tape from Simon Says Stamp. I also added a panel with rounded corners on the inside of the card to provide a nice writing panel. Lastly, I topped the spots and eyes with a little Glossy Accents.

May Your Ever Dream Come True cardSince I was so inspired by the Hennah Elements stamp set while I was trying the vellum technique, I decided to create a card using it. The sentiment is from the Wonderful Words stamp set from CAS-ual Fridays Stamps. I stamped everything using Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

This was a very quick and easy card. I had initially planned to make it a single layer card, but forgot to use my extra heavy card stock and had some bleed-through from my Copics. Instead, I cut the front panel off the card and trimmed it by 1/8″ on all sides. I then made a standard A2 card base from some SSS black card stock.

Altenew Dream card - close-upI adhered the panel to the card stock using the Big Momma foam tape again. I then added some of my beloved Wink of Stella glitter brush on top of the flower and leaf.

I just realized I forgot to mention the Copic colors I used for this card. I used R24, R27, and R29 for the petals on the flower. I used Y02, Y06, and Y08 for the center of the flower. For the leaf, I used G00, G02, and G05.

I also took a class at my LSS on Friday night that featured owls from Dare2B Artzy. I’ll be sharing those cards in another post in the next couple of days.

Until next time …

Signature Image


  1. Tracie Pond says:

    This is lovely, Melissa. Thank you for sharing with us. Also, those ladybugs are so sweet. My husband calls me his lil bug, so I kind of have a thing for ladybugs!!! =)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.