As you may have noticed by the badge over in my sidebar, I’m participating in the Mask-erade class taking place this week over at Online Card Classes. I’ve taken some of their independent classes in the past, but this is my first time really being able to participate in real time for one of their interactive classes. I’m loving it so far and have a feeling this won’t be my last interactive class.
The topic for day one was all about masking papers. The instructors for day one — Kristina Werner, Debby Hughes, and Laura Bassen — provided lots of great information about a wide variety of masking paper products. Some were very traditional, while others were not.
For my day one homework, I opted for a masking material that I considered to be less traditional — acetate. This particular technique was covered by Laura. In fact, the card I made is just a variation of the card she created. Since I absolutely love ink blending with my Mini Distress Inks, her design concept immediately appealed to me!
To begin, I die cut a square from a fairly large piece of acetate. I then selected seven Distress Inks that I felt roughly represented the colors of a rainbow. In retrospect, I wish I would have selected some lighter shades as my finished design turned out darker than I would have liked, especially since the indigo and violet shades were right on top.
I didn’t really have a firm idea in mind of how I would finish this card when I started doing the masking. Given the rainbow nature of the colors, I decided to go with the whole sky theme. I pulled out my Blue Skies stamp set from Lawn Fawn and decided to use it to complete my design.
To help tie things together, I actually did a second masking technique on this card. I stamped off the largest cloud from the stamp set (masked that as well so I could combine two clouds into one) and then fussy cut it out. I adhered it to a piece of scrap cardstock to give myself a bit of a handle as well as some surface area on which I could start my ink blending. I went all along the white areas ink blending in lots of puffy little clouds using Tumbled Glass Distress Ink. Any time I got near one of the rainbow squares, I would just mask those off with a Post-It note to ensure I didn’t get any of the blue ink on them. Yep, I definitely had LOTS of masking going on with this card! LOL
To round out my scene I stamped the large hot air balloon and pennant banner, also from the Blue Skies stamp set, using some Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I colored them using some Copic markers and then fussy cut them out. Here are the colors I used.
To assemble my card, I started by adhering my panel flat to a card base made of some Audrey Blue cardstock from Simon Says Stamp. Before adhering the images to the card, I went around all of the edges using my Memento Tuxedo Black marker to cover the white cut edges and help them pop a bit more on the card. I adhered the banner to the balloon using some Ranger Multi Medium Matte. To attach the balloon to the card, I used some Scotch foam tape to give it a little added dimension off the card. I finished things off by stamping one of the sentiments from the Blue Skies stamp set using Versafine Onyx Black ink.
After all was said and done, here is my finished card.
Even though I wasn’t happy with the colors of my rainbow squares initially, I ended up being pleased overall with the finished card. I definitely want to give this technique a try again in the future. For now, it’s on to day two of class!
Since today is Wednesday, that means a new Wednesday Challenge is up over on the Simon Says Stamp blog. The theme for this week is Anything Goes, so I’ve decided to enter this card into the challenge. They also have a new Work It Wednesday monthly challenge up. The theme for May is RAINBOW, so I’ll be entering this card into that challenge.
Until next time …