Sadly, the Mask-erade class at Online Card Classes has mostly come to an end. Day five was our final lesson day, but we’ve got another week for everyone to finish up their homework cards and upload them to the student gallery. There will be one final wrap-up day next weekend when all of the random giveaway winners will be announced.
The lesson topic for our final day was all about using clear heat embossing as a mask. We had wonderful lesson videos from Jennifer McGuire, Debby Hughes, and Laura Bassen. Two of the lesson videos used various ink blending techniques which I’ve done in the past. With that in mind, I opted to follow the third technique which was presented by Debby.
For this particular card, I decided to mask and watercolor around the leaf shapes from the Stitched Leaves die set from Lawn Fawn. I gave my watercolor paper a good wash of water using a large flat brush and then added some color using Mini Distress Inks and my Aquash water brush. Since the leaves made me think of Autumn, I went with colors that reminded me of turning leaves. I focused mostly on the Mustard Seed, Wild Honey, and Ripe Persimmon colors, but added a small amount of Aged Mahogany here and there to give the colors some depth.
Unfortunately, I must not have let one of my leaf shapes get completely embossed because some of the ink got beneath the embossing. So, just as with day three, I was back in salvage mode again. Oops!
I used my iron to remove as much of the embossing as I could and then went over the accidentally colored area with my Uniball Signo Broad white gel pen. It still didn’t look quite right, so I decided to color one of the resultant leaves from where I die cut my mask from 120 lb. card stock and use it to cover the spot.
For coloring the leaf, I used Copic markers in colors Y15, Y17, and YR16. As you can see from the photo above, I also added some Wink of Stella clear glitter brush pen to it as well after I added it to the watercolor panel using some foam tape.
I added the Happy Fall sentiment from the Sweater Weather stamp set by Lawn Fawn using VersaFine Onyx Black ink. I stamped a few small leaf images from the same stamp set on the card using the same colors I used for the watercolor background. I also added a couple of motion swirls using Pumice Stone Distress Ink.
To finish off the card, I adhered the watercolor panel to my card base using more foam tape. The card base is made from Orange Peel card stock by Simon Says Stamp.
Even though I had a bit of a stumble, the card still turned out somewhat OK. It’s definitely not what I had intended, so I’m trying to figure out how to be content with the finished product.
While I’m glad I won’t have to make a “homework” card every day now, I’m still sad that this class is coming to a close. Despite the fact that I had to do some salvaging a couple of times, I still feel like I learned so very much by participating in this class. I’ve also met some very lovely fellow card makers via blogs and Instagram while perusing the student galleries. If you’re even remotely considering taking a class from Online Card Classes, I would highly recommend it!
Until next time …