Simon Says Stamp Mod Circle Cards

Simon Says Stamp Mod Circle FrameA few months ago during their Die-cember release, Simon Says Stamp introduced the Mod Circle Frame die. As soon as I saw it, I immediately fell in love with it and bought one. Sadly, it sat in my box of dies untouched until yesterday when I decided it was time to pull it out and finally make some cards with it. I’m so glad I did because I absolutely LOVE how they turned out.

Before I get into the details, I want to give a bit of forewarning. This post is pretty photo heavy. I generally try to make multiples of cards in order to make the most of my time and materials. In this case, I made a total of five cards and since each one is so different due to the mixing of colors, I wanted to showcase each of them. If you are on a slower internet connection, I apologize if the page takes a while to load due to the number of photos.

I started off by deciding on what colors of cardstock I wanted to use. Since I know working with odd numbers are generally more appealing to the human eye, I opted to go with a total of five colors. For my neutral color, I selection Marshmallow cardstock from Bazzill. For my colored papers, I opted to use several bright cardstocks from Simon Says Stamp. I pulled several colors and played around with several combinations before finally settling on Doll Pink, Sunshine, Orange Peel, and Island Blue. They were all just so bright and cheerful which is precisely what I wanted for these cards.

mod02 The first order of business was running the die through my die cutting machine with each of the fives pieces of cardstock. I separated the frame from the puzzle pieces (what I call them), being sure to keep each color in a separate stack which made reassembling everything much easier when I got to that step. I ran all of the frames through my Xyron 9″ Creative Station to get adhesive on them. This was much easier than trying to apply liquid adhesive to all of the small details in the frame. Other alternative that would work equally well would be using something like E6000 spray adhesive or some double-sided adhesive like Stick-It or Sizzix Adhesive Sheets.

mod03I cut apart each of the frames while still on the Xyron paper. I carefully peeled away the backing paper from each one and adhered it to my card bases which were created using more of the Marshmallow cardstock from Bazzill. I mixed things up a bit by creating two as top-folding cards and three as traditional side-folding cards. Since the die is an A2 size, the frames lined up perfectly with the edges of the card bases which made it much easier to ensure everything was straight.

mod04Next, I filled in all the spaces in the frame using the puzzle pieces created when I cut everything out. The only rule I really followed for this was deciding I didn’t want to use any puzzle piece colors that matched the frame color on the same card. This ensured I got the most color pop bang for my buck. Once I had all of my colors selected and in place, it was time to remove them piece by piece to adhere them to the card base. Since the pieces were inlaid, I found the easiest way to do this was to remove each piece using my Tim Holtz Retractable Craft Pick.

mod05

To adhere the pieces, I used some Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue. Using a liquid glue versus a tape runner gave me a little time to wiggle pieces around to ensure I had them inlaid properly before they were permanently adhered. I just put a very thin coat around the entire space to be sure they would be completely glued down to prevent edges from popping up later.

mod06

Once all the pieces were glued in place, I ran my Teflon bone folder over the card front. Since the Teflon is non-stick, I didn’t have to worry about any stray bits of adhesive getting stuck on my bone folder. I did this several times in both directions to make sure all of the pieces were firmly in place and glued down well. I then folded the card and ran the bone folder along the edge to ensure a nice crisp fold.

Here is a look at each of the finished cards individually. I’m also including a photo showing all five cards together.

mod07 mod08 mod09
mod10 mod11 mod12
The theme this week over on the Little Red Wagon challenge blog is all about die-cutting. I’ll be entering the card with the blue frame into the challenge.

 

Until next time …

mcc-signature

2 comments

Leave a Reply