Playing with Color Bursts

After owning the Brights set of Color Burst watercolor powders from Ken Oliver for a few months now, I finally decided to pull them out and play with them last night. I will admit that I was totally inspired by the awesome watercolor powder post yesterday over on Sandy Allnock’s blog.

Happy Holidays card - Ken Oliver Color Bursts

This is the card I made. Not only was this my first time using the Color Burst powders, but this was also my first time trying my hand at doing inlaid die cutting. It was much easier to do than I thought, so I will definitely be doing both of these techniques again in the future!

I started by creating the background using the Alizaron Crimson and Pthalo Green powders on a piece of Crafter’s Companion watercolor cardstock. Don’t let those bits of blue and purple fool you. I only used the two colors previously mentioned. While these powders are labeled with the name of the predominant color, there are definitely bits of other colors in the mix, too.

As I was waiting for that to piece to dry, I turned my attention to the die cutting. For this card, I selected the happy word die from Winnie and Walter and the Stitched Snowflakes die set from Lawn Fawn. I cut them out first from a piece of Stamper’s Select white cardstock from Papertrey Ink. Once my watercolor background piece was dry, I laid the dies out on the background to determine where I wanted each piece to be and then cut them again. (Note: If you’re going to try an inlaid design, be sure to save all the little inside bits from your die cuts because you’ll need them when you assemble the card.) After I completed all the die cutting, I used the Milo’s ABCs stamp stamp and some Versafine Black Onyx ink to add the “Holidays” sentiment under the happy die cut.

Happy Holidays card - Ken Oliver Color Bursts

To assemble the card, I added some strips of tape on the back side of the background piece making sure I had some covering each of the die cut openings. I then flipped the piece back to the right side and carefully laid in all of the white die cuts into the openings. This is the point where you will need the watercolor inner pieces that you saved earlier. Those are used to fill in the inner spots on the inlay so everything matches nicely.

To embellish the card, I added some clear Sakura Stardust Gelly Roll pen over each of the snowflakes. I received this pen in the August 2015 Stamp Kit from Simon Says Stamp. This was my first time using any of the Gelly Roll pens and I loved the silvery sparkle it gave my snowflakes. Just so my elements wouldn’t be completely matchy-matchy, I opted to use some clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen on the happy die cut to give it a different look.

To finish up the card, I used my Corner Chomper from We R Memory Keepers to round the corners of the watercolor panel and my card base (also made from Stamper’s Select white cardstock) using the 1/4″ rounders. I popped the panel up on the card base using some Big Momma foam tape from Simon Says Stamp and added a few silver sequins from Close to My Heart. The Big Momma foam tape is thinner than the Scotch foam tape, so I like using it when I want any added dimension to be very subtle.

Happy Christmas card - Ken Oliver Color Bursts

After I finished the first card, I was looking at the die cut remnants that were cut from the watercolor background. They were definitely far to pretty to waste, so I decided to crank out another card using them. I simply adhered them to a white card base using a bit of Multi Medium Matte from Ranger. For a little pop of color, I added a red fishtail banner along the bottom with a white embossed sentiment. I used the word Christmas from the Happy Everything stamp set from Lawn Fawn.

I will confess that I had a bit of a boo boo on this card. I decided to add some Wink of Stella on the die cut pieces. It worked fine on the snowflakes, but when I started doing it on the happy word, the watercolor activated again and started running a bit. To recover the card. I used my BG000 marker from Copic and just outlined all around the word and then used a bit of the 0 blender pen to soften it out even more. I wouldn’t say it’s a perfect solution, but at least I salvaged the card.

As I mentioned earlier, I definitely had a lot of fun making these cards. I can’t believe I waited so long to try out my Color Bursts! They are so much fun to use. I have the new Earth Tones Color Burst set on order, but they haven’t arrived yet. I’ll definitely be giving them a try as soon as they do.

Until next time …

Signature Image

Leave a Reply