My dad’s birthday is coming up in a little over a week, so I decided I should probably make his card since I have to mail it back to Tennessee. I knew I wanted to use my Sky is the Limit Sale-A-Bration stamp set from Stampin’ Up!® I was inspired by a card created by Xandra, a Demonstrator in the Netherlands. I loved the first and second generation stamping she did with the tree stamp to create her horizon, so I decided to CASE her card.
I started by cutting a 3.75 x 5″ panel of Whisper White cardstock. I created the sky background by applying Soft Sky ink with a sponge dauber using the tree top shape from the Tree Builder punch as a mask to create cloud shapes. I used both edges of the tree top shape and rotated it in all different directions so I could get a lot of variety in my cloud shapes. I repeated this process until I reached about the bottom quarter of the panel which I left plain since that’s where the trees would be going.
For the tree line, I used the evergreen tree from the Lovely as a Tree stamp set and Mossy Meadow ink. To create some depth, I used a combination for first, second, and third generation stamping. This gives the illusion of some trees being closer (the darkest trees) while others are farther away (the lightest trees). I varied the placements of the stamping as well so my trees would be all different heights just like a real forest.
For the focal image of my card, I stamped the plane from the Sky is the Limit stamp set on a scrap piece of matching white cardstock using Night of Navy ink. I also used the same ink to stamp the birthday sentiment from the same stamp set in the upper corner on my panel. I cut the plane out with a small offset using the PixScan mat and my Silhouette Cameo electronic die-cutting machine.
For a bit of added detail, I punched a 3/4″ circle of vellum and attached it to the plane using a small metal brad from my stash. Even though this is a masculine card, I added a layer of clear Wink of Stella over the vellum. I think the combination of the vellum with the little bit of added sparkle really helps create the illusion of movement for the propellor.
To assemble my card, I matted my panel with a piece of Night of Navy cardstock cut to 3-7/8″ x 5-1/8″. This gave me a tiny border around my panel and helped tie in the navy. I wrapped the matted panel four times with some ivory twine from May Arts then adhered the panel using Stampin’ Dimensionals to a top-folding A2 card base made from Thick Whisper White cardstock. For the final step, I adhered the plane with more Dimensionals which finished my card .
I’m entering this card in the following challenges:
- Stampin’ Royalty – the current theme is Going Green.
- Seize the Birthday – the current theme is Anything Goes.
Until next time …