While I generally prefer creating my cards from scratch, I do purchase card kits occasionally. They’re a great way to knock out a card in a hurry or for making cards when my creativity mojo is waning. The most recent one I’ve purchased is the Watercolor Wishes kit from Stampin’ Up!®
Other than a bit of liquid glue, this kit contains everything you need to create 20 cards, including the acrylic block, inks, Stampin’ Dimensionals, and envelopes. Even after making all the cards in the kit, the included photopolymer stamp set, which has some gorgeous all-occasion sentiments, can be used to make other cards for years to come. If you would like a closer look at the stamp set, just click on the image below for a larger view.
After opening my kit, I realized I could actually stretch the kit a bit and get a few more cards out of it. I noticed five of the card bases had beautiful imaging on both the front and back side of the card. Here’s a photo of how some of them look.
Since most people don’t spend much, if any, time looking at the back of the card, it seemed a waste to let these images go to waste. I immediately decided I would cut all of these in half to get two cards out them. By doing that, I’ll end up getting 25 cards out of my kit instead of just 20. Since the kit costs $35 (before tax & shipping), with the few supplies I’ll need to add, that brings the cost per card down to around $1.50. Here are the first two cards I created using this stretch idea.
The card on the left is basically the card design from the kit. Of course, it does look slightly different due to the fact I cut the striped card base in half and mounted it on some navy cardstock instead. The card on the right is my “stretch” card created using the second half of the trimmed card base and elements from my stash.
The banner used on the left card was from the kit. All I had to do was stamp the sentiment and attached the wood heart using a bit of Tombow Mono liquid glue. I created the banner on the right card using some white card stock from my stash and fishtailed the ends using my hexagon punch. I sponged the edges with Pool Party (one of the coordinating colors for the kit). I added the dot and squiggly line details around the edge using my Stampin’ Write markers and finished it off using another sentiment from the included stamp set. Instead of using another wood element from the kit, I added this adorable bow paperclip from my stash. Since there were plenty of sequins and a roll of washi tape in the kit, I knew I would have enough of each of those to use them on my “stretch” card. I adhered the sequins using the fine-tip glue pen, but you could also use mini glue dots if you prefer.
Here’s one final photo that shows what this card would have looked like if made as directed in the kit. It’s in the top row center in the photo. It also shows the other 19 card designs included in the kit as well. If you would like to purchase this kit, please visit my online shop.
I think I did a pretty good job mimicking the original card for my stretch version. In fact, I think I kind of prefer mine because I love how the navy card base really makes the stripes and sentiment “pop” a bit more. I can’t wait to do the other ones now, too!
Until next time …