Hi everyone! I apologize for being so absent from my blog the past couple of weeks. I’ve still been dealing with some on-going back issues following the car accident I was in earlier this month. Sadly, it has greatly impacted my ability to sit at my craft table to create. I think (fingers crossed) I’m finally over the worst of it and hope to get back to making cards more often again.
For this card, I decided to create an alternative design using the May 2016 Paper Pumpkin project kit from Stampin’ Up. Each month the kit includes everything you need (except a pair of scissors) to create that month’s project, including a photopolymer stamp set and ink cube! I figured since I’m just getting back into the swing of things using a card kit would be an easy way to get started.
The kit we received in May is called Many Manly Occasions. It’s geared toward making masculine cards for birthdays, Father’s Day, etc. Here’s a quick video from the Paper Pumpkin YouTube channel showing everything included in the kit.
I began by using my paper trimmer to carefully cut the front panel off one of the card bases along the score line. I used my bone folder to smooth out the edge and hide any remnants of the previous score line. I then masked off the sentiment area using some Post-It tape so I could do some repeat stamping in that area. I used the birthday sentiment from the stamp set and Night of Navy Stampin’ Spot ink cube to and filled the area with the word birthday offsetting each row from the previous. I forgot to put some foam under my panel, so the words didn’t stamp quite as cleanly as I would have wanted. Fortunately, I think the somewhat grungy appearance actually works in this case since I’m creating a masculine card.
I cut a piece of acetate at 4-1/8 x 5-3/8″ to create the window for my card. I adhered it to the back of the die cut panel using the glue dots included with the kit. I created two separate shaker areas using the new foam adhesive strip which will be available in the new catalog beginning June 1. I am absolutely in LOVE with these new foam strips because they make creating shaker cards a snap. They’re 1/8″ wide strips that are the same height at a double layer of the foam tape traditionally used for making shaker cards. So, no more doubling up tape! You just pop down a strip of the adhesive and you’re done.
I added some sequins from the Brights Assortment to each of my shaker windows then used one of the included corrugated panels to seal everything in place. I adhered my shaker piece to a card base created using a piece of white cardstock from my stash. I added one of the large Happy stickers over the repeated stamping then coated it with a generous layer of clear Wink of Stella. Even though it’s a masculine card, there’s nothing wrong with a little shimmer. To finish off the card, I added a few of the enamel stars included in the kit.
I’m entering this card in the following challenges:
- Seize the Birthday – the current theme is anything goes with the optional topping of dimension.
- CAS-ual Fridays – the current theme is birthday boy (masculine cards).
- AAA Cards – the current theme is birthday cards.
Until next time …