Dear Jane

I’m not going to go into a lot of details here, but this post is for the “Jane” who filled out the contact form here on my blog Sunday with some pretty rude comments. Since I can’t respond to her directly because it appears she used a fake email address to fill out the form, I’m going to post my response here along with a card I made while thinking about Jane’s comments to me.

Mel's Card Corner | Kindness Counts

Dear Jane,

I’m sorry you felt the need to lash out at me because things in your life aren’t what you would like. You don’t know me or anything about my circumstances, so before filling out contact forms or leaving comments on blogs anonymously, please just take a moment to think about whether you would say those things to the blogger’s face if you were face-to-face in the same room. If the answer is no, then don’t hide behind the anonymity of the internet to say it either. Words hurt, even when they’re anonymous.

Mel's Card Corner | Kindness Counts

If you do choose to no longer follow my blog, that’s your prerogative. I would just like to ask one favor before you go. The next time you feel the need to lash out at someone on their blog, YouTube channel, etc., just take a moment to think about it first and perhaps practice a little kindness instead.

I’m entering this card in the following challenges:

Until next time …

Signature Image

28 comments

1. Kim says:

Good for you, Mel! I’m so glad you stood up to this person. I will never understand why some people go out of their way to be miserable to others…those they don’t even know. For every one who leaves that sort of nasty mail, there are dozens who come to look at and love your cards every day. Unfortunately, we don’t all comment as much as we should.

2. Cheryl Robertson says:

I agree with Kim – good for you! You don’t need such a mean spirited person in your life. I really enjoy your blog and although I cannot afford to buy a lot of new products, you give me inspiration to use/substitute what I do have. Big hugs coming your way😊

3. Cindy Daversa says:

I love your spirit, and your kind heart! And the card is pretty awesome too!
    Armchair bullies are just small people with small minds and dark hearts. They can never be happy for others, they can never be happy with themselves.
    Me, I love each day, every blog I visit, ever card maker that inspires me…if they got a million products, or a handful. 😊

4. Maggie B says:

Perfect, Mel!! You’ve handled this in exactly the right way! You are one awesome woman! Even Thumper’s father said, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” Peace & Hugs

5. Dr Sonia S V says:

Such a fabulous response to the negative comments…Having a popular blog I too have faced crazily negative hurtful comments so I know how much it must have hurt.My heart goes out to you Melissa and here is a big virtual hug from me!

6. Kimberly O. says:

Oh wow! I’m sorry that someone was mean and not even brave enough to leave their real contact info. I’ve never understood why people do this kind of thing. Does your form give the person’s IP address? Maybe they aren’t so “anonymous”… I love your cards! I’m a big fan of “less is more” when it comes to making cards. I’ve gotten so many wonderful ideas from your blog!!

7. foleysfriend (from SN) says:

It’s quite disturbing that there are people who lash out with mean and hurtful comments … and to a blogger who creates beautiful cards! I love your CAS card. I have a question though, how is the twine held up or is it tied tight enough that it doesn’t move?

8. Cynde Whitlow says:

You go girl! You do whatever makes you happy and don’t listen to the Negative Nellies that have nothing better to do with their time. Your card is wonderful on so many levels! 🙂

9. Dayna Lum-Akana says:

Dearest Mel ~ lots of love and aloha in support of you and your creativity. your kind and loving heart shines through in everything you do. ((HUGS))

10. Linda Coley says:

Melissa, I love this CAS card and the message that it sends. I’m sorry that sometimes people are so small that they feel they have to send unkind messages. Your response was perfect! I hope you feel the love and support from all the positive responses you receive. 💕