Given it’s already mid-August, I’m definitely moving into holiday card mode. For today’s card, I’m using a new beautiful ornament stamp from the new Stampin’ Up!® holiday catalog which will launch in a couple of weeks (September 1, 2016).
This stamp is only available in wood mount, but since it comes unmounted, I converted it to cling mount using some EZMount foam. It worked great and this allowed me to use the stamp in my Misti stamping tool. Since I was stamping onto some watercolor paper, this was very important to allow me to get a nice clean stamped image.
I began by prepping my watercolor paper with an Embossing Buddy since I wanted to do some heat embossing. I stamped the image using Basic Black ink then heat set it using clear embossing powder. After letting it cool, I masked off the entire stamped image using some Molotow liquid mask and let it dry completely.
I created a watercolor wash for the background of my card using Pacific Point ink. I added two layers of color, heat setting them in between to ensure the first layer was dry before adding the next. By adding two layers, it gave some variation in the color which created texture on the background.
After the background was done, I removed the liquid mask from the ornament and ribbon using an adhesive eraser. I watercolored each using Real Red ink. I applied a heavier concentration of the ink along the left hand side to provide a bit of shading then watered it down more as I moved across the ornament. I also used a darker concentration of the ink in the areas I wanted to shade on the bow.
When the ornament and bow were dry, I removed the masking from the ornament topper and hanger. I watercolored those using Daffodil Delight ink. Once again, I used a heavier concentration of ink on the left hand side to give it a bit of shading. To give it more of a metallic appearance, I added a generous coating of clear Wink of Stella after the watercoloring was dry.
Finally, I added some Glossy Accents over the ornament and bow to give it a bit of shine. To finish off the card, I adhered the watercolor panel to an A2 top-folding card base using Tear & Tape which is a super strong adhesive. This helped flatten out any warping I had from the water and heat setting processes and gave me a nice one layer card in the end.
I’m entering this card in the following challenges:
- The Paper Players – the current theme is a color challenge using Pacific Point, Real Red, Daffodil Delight, and Basic Black.
- One Layer Simplicity – the current theme is August Art. I used a watercolor technique.
- Happy Little Stampers CAS – the current theme is masking.
Until next time …