We had an amazing time Tuesday night during our slumber party live event over at StampNation in preparation for the launch of the new Stamp of Approval collection yesterday. (There are still boxes available, but they’re going FAST!) Several of us who are on the Design Team (DT), as well as Justine (one of our Guest Designers for this release), were all crafting on the fly during the live event creating cards.
Catherine challenged each of us to CASE (copy and selectively edit) a card created by one of the other DT members or Guest Designers. I decided to CASE Guest Designer Amy Kolling who was part of our blog hop on day two. Both of her cards were absolutely amazing, but I especially loved her second card.
When I CASE a card, I like to either “borrow” or “change” three or four things about the original card to make the design my own. In this CASE, I decided to borrow elements.
- The repeating diamond pattern using the border stamp from Everyday Mod
- Generational stamping (a.k.a. stamping off)
- Fussy cutting along the edge of the diamond pattern
I took those elements from Amy’s card and came up with this design:
I started with a white card stock layer which I trimmed to 4 x 5.5″. Using Party Dress ink from Catherine Pooler Designs, I stamped the diamond border three times moving left to right without reinking between each stamp. This generational stamping gave me the wonderful ombre effect along the left part of the card. I then did a bit of fussy cutting around the diamonds to create a bit of interest on the panel.
Using the same Party Dress ink, I stamped one of the sentiments from the Perfect Reason stamp set in the lower right corner of the panel. To help balance the card, I stamped the small diamond cluster image from Everyday Mod randomly around the card. I stamped a couple normally, then stamped the others in second and third generation stamping to match the shades in the border.
To give the card a bit of “wow” factor, I used the single diamond image from Everyday Mod and stamped over a few of the diamond using VersaMark ink then heat embossed them in gold. To tie that gold in with the rest of the card, I did a direct to paper technique using a VersaMark ink pad along both vertical edges on the front of my A2 top-folding card base. I added the same gold powder then heat embossed it as well. After the embossing cooled off, I adhered the stamped panel to the card base using some foam tape.
I completed this card from start to finish well within the one hour time constraint of the live event. Sadly, I realized I’m not very good at multitasking because I had a very difficult time keeping up with the chat while trying to craft at the same time. I’ll definitely need to work on that before our next live event! LOL
Until next time …