Sorry it’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve posted. I’ve been dealing with some things in my personal life and it’s had a major impact on my card making mojo. I have still done a few creative things though. I’ve done a bit of digital coloring on my iPad Pro for the latest round of the 30 Day Coloring Challenge hosted by Kathy from The Daily Marker. I’ve also been doing brush lettering drills for the new semester of the Show Me Your Drills challenge hosted by Becca from The Happy Ever Crafter. If you want to see my work on either of those challenges, be sure to follow me on Instagram. If you look through my feed, you just might find a giveaway going on over there right now, too. hint hint
Since Kathy mentioned in her post about how the challenge works that even “coloring with ink” counts for the challenge, I decided to brush off the card making funk I’ve been ink and create a card. I used some Distress Oxide inks to do a bit of stamped watercoloring. It felt soooooo good to get inky again!
For this card, I used the new Painted Harvest stamp set from Stampin’ Up. It’s a beautiful layering stamp set that’s a bit distressed to give it a watercolor feel. I started by stamping the first layer using Wild Honey Distress Oxide ink. Before stamping each image onto the watercolor paper, I spritzed the inked up stamp a couple of times with water using a mister. I dried it with my heat tool, then stamped the second layer using Candied Apple Distress Oxide ink. I dried that layer, then stamped the leaves using Peeled Paint Distress Oxide ink.
For the center of the flower, I decided to switch to a regular water-based ink instead of the Distress Oxide inks. I used Soft Suede from Stampin’ Up. I still used the same technique of spritzing it with a bit of water after inking up the stamp before taking it to my paper so I could keep that loose watercolor look and feel.
After I had the floral done, I stamped one of the sentiments from the stamp set using the same Soft Suede ink. Since I was stamping on watercolor paper, I used my Mini Misti for this step so I could stamp it two or three times to ensure nice coverage throughout the entire sentiment.
To assemble the card, I trimmed the watercolor panel down to 3-1/4 x 3-1/4″ then matted it on a piece of Soft Suede card stock from Stampin’ Up cut to 3-3/8″ x 3-3/8″. Next, I cut a piece of white card stock to 3-3/4 x 5-1/2″. I adhered the matted watercolor panel near the top of the white layer then added some Crushed Curry Mini Chevron Ribbon from Stampin’ Up around the panel finishing it off with a simple knot.
I matted the white panel with more of the Soft Suede card stock cut to 3-7/8″ x 5-1/2″. I adhered the completed panel to a top-folding card base made from Crushed Curry card stock by Stampin’ Up. For a bit of sparkle, I went over the entire sunflower and leaf images using a clear Sparkle pen from Spectrum Noir and that completed the card.
Until next time …