Even though you wouldn’t know it here in southern California since our high temperature today was 93ºF (~34ºC), fall is in the air for most parts of the United States. I’ve seen so many friends posting beautiful photos online of their visits to pumpkin patches, going on hay rides, driving around looking at fall foliage, etc. The beautiful yellows, reds, and oranges in their photos was the inspiration for my card today.
I started by die cutting a stitched rectangle using the medium size rectangle from the Postage Stamp Dies by Catherine Pooler Designs. While I was die cutting, I also cut a postage stamp layer using the coordinating size die and some Pomegranate card stock from Close to My Heart. I chose this color because it coordinated with the patterned paper I wanted to use for the background. It’s from the Grateful Heart Paper Packet, also from Close to My Heart.
On the stitched rectangle, I stamped a leaf image from the retired Vintage Leaves stamp set* from Stampin’ Up using Nocturne ink from VersaFine Claire. While the ink was still wet, I quickly added some clear embossing powder then heat set it. (*Note: If you don’t have the Vintage Leaves set, one of the smaller leaves from the Leaf Motifs set from Catherine Pooler would also work. I’ll link to that set in my supply list below since it’s still available.)
After the embossing had cooled, I used Post-It tape to mask off a strip in the middle of the rectangle. I used a mini ink blending tool and Distress Oxide inks in Barn Door, Spiced Marmalade, and Mustard Seed for the ink blending. I thought the Barn Door and Mustard seed went really well with the colors in the patterned paper and the Spiced Marmalade was a nice “go between” color for them.
After letting the Oxide inks dry completed, I added the sentiment. It’s from the Inspiring Poppies stamp set from Gina K. Designs. I also stamped it using the Nocturne ink then heat embossed it using clear embossing powder.
To assemble the card, I adhered the focal panel to the postage stamp layer using liquid glue. I also used the liquid glue to adhere the patterned paper to the card base. I like using liquid glue for these steps because it gives me a little bit of “wiggle room” time to ensure everything is straight. Finally, I adhered the matted layers to the card base using foam tape to give it a bit of dimension and that completed my card.
I’m entering this card in the following challenges:
- StampNation – Challenge #291 fall cards (membership required)
- CAS on Friday – the current theme is fall or Halloween cards
Until next time …