Today’s card is all about creating your own background. While I do love using patterned paper on cards, it’s also really fun to create some DIY patterned paper or even just create your own background directly on the card base as I’ve done today.
If you’re interested in learning more about creating backgrounds that go beyond the basics, I definitely recommend checking out the Beyond Basic Backgrounds class at Altenew Academy taught by Lydia Evans. This class will definitely teach you how to take your backgrounds to the next level.
For my card, I started by created my own stencil using a piece of cardstock cut to a card front size. You could also use acetate for this step if you want. I used the outline die of one of the flowers from the Painted Flowers Die set from Altenew. I die cut it repeatedly in a cascading pattern coming down from the top of the card.
After I had my stencil finished, I taped it to the front of my card base using some low tack tape. Using blending brushes, I did some ink blending on the card front using Altenew inks in Frosty Pink, Coral Berry, and Ruby Red. These inks are all from the Red Cosmos Set. I blended down from the top of the card going darkest to lightest as I moved down the card front.
After letting the ink dry completely, I used the coordinating outline stamp from the Painted Flowers stamp set to stamp the outline over each of the stenciled flowers. I stamped them using VersaMark ink then added white embossing powder which I melted with my heat tool.
I created a coordinating ombré strip of cardstock using the two darkest inks for my sentiment. Once again, I blended the color on using the blending brushes then let it dry completely. I stamped a sentiment from the Heartfelt Sentiments stamp set using VersaMark ink, then heat embossed using the same white powder.
After letting the heat embossing cool, I trimmed the strip down to a 1/8″ border on the top and bottom using the Cut-Align tool from My Sweet Petunia. I also added a banner edge on the right end using my scissors. To avoid having a white edge showing next to all the ink blending, I quickly went around all the edges with one of the blender brushes just using whatever remaining ink was on it. It was just enough to knock back the white and give it a nice finished edge. I adhered it to the front of the card using some foam squares and that completed the card.
I’m entering this card in the following challenge(s):
Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I hope you enjoyed the project I’ve shared. Until next time …