Wonderful Rondi’s Window

For today’s card, I reaching back to one of my favorite “old school” techniques. It’s called the Joseph’s Coat or trapped ink embossing technique. It’s a really fun way to add a bit of a wow factor to a simple card.

Mel's Card Corner | Wonderful Rondi's Window

I started by creating the technique piece. Using my Picket Fence Studios Life Changing Blender Brushes, I added ink blending to a 1-3/4 x 5-1/2″ panel of white cardstock using Catherine Pooler Designs inks in Pixie Dust, Be Mine, and Tiki Torch. Even though I only used three ink colors, by blending them, it gives the appearance of actually being five colors thanks to the overlapping inks at the transition points.

After letting the ink blended panel dry well, I went over the whole piece with an anti-static powder tool. I inked up the Rondi’s Window Background Stamp with VersaMark ink then stamped it over the ink blended panel. I added some clear embossing powder over the ink then melted it using my heat tool.

Mel's Card Corner | Wonderful Rondi's Window

After letting the embossing cool, I used a Ranger Mini Ink Blending Tool and added Midnight ink over the entire panel. Doing this covered the rest of the ink blended panel while allowing the ink blending under the embossing to still show through since it resists the ink. This technique will work with any dark ink, but I think the results are most striking using black or dark navy ink.

I created a top-folding landscape card base using white cardstock. I adhered the technique panel flat on the card front with the lower edge being 3/8″ up from the bottom of the card. I cut two more pieces of white cardstock. The first was cut to 2-1/4 x 5-1/2″ and the second was cut to 1/2 x 5-1/2″. For the sentiment, I stamped a combination of some builder sentiments from the Awesome & Wonderful Stamp Set using Midnight ink.

To assemble the card, I adhered the small white strip to the card front using foam tape and aligning it with the bottom of the card. When the sentiment panel was dry, I adhered it to the card front. Once again, I adhered it using foam tape and aligned it with the top of the card which allowed 1-1/2″ of the technique panel to show through the gap and that completed the card.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I hope you enjoyed the project I’ve shared. Until next time …

Signature Image

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.